Welcome

This idea of sustainability can be overwhelming. Everything is going green. What does it mean? Why should I care? Can I really make a difference? What's the difference between greenwashing and the real deal? I hope to share what I'm learning in small bites to make it easy for everyone to follow. It can be easy and simple if we care enough to start.

I work for an environmental building consultant and am pursuing a BA in Design Management at ASU with a few classes in sustainability mixed in. I'm trying to sort this all out as a husband and father.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Phoenix Metro Light Rail (Day 3 - New Year's Eve)

OK, so I've figured out that the morning commute is pretty locked in at this point. My drive time is consistent. There is plenty of parking at the Sycamore/Main Park & Ride. There are plenty of lights and there are walking patrol officers. I'm off to save the planet one commute at a time. That's the beauty of taking sustainability personally. It's the little things we do that add up to a greater sum that really does make a difference. My commute to Phoenix is uneventful. There is still plenty of room. They still miss the announcement to the Roosevelt/Central stop. I'm a little leery of the ride home, but I'll just have to deal with it.

2:15PM my office loses power. It's New Year's Eve and we determine the folks doing demolition work nearby have cut a line. My masters have allowed me to leave early. It wasn't like we were really getting earth-shattering work done. As I walk toward the station, I suddenly think, "Hmm, no power, electric train - how will I get home?" No worries. I see a train speed by in the opposite direction to where I'm going. The 2:30 train I catch is again packed to the rafters. There's a bit of a stare-off at every stop downtown as those looking to get on stare at those already jammed in like they're supposed to magically make room for them. Some feel it's a mosh pit and it's their duty to crowd on anyway. What fun!

Today marks the last free day. Most riders on the way east are looking to get off in Tempe early for the Insight Bowl and the Tempe Block Party. My assumptions were correct and most departed at the two main ASU stops. I actually got a seat for the rest of the ride. All is well with the world. Office to garage is still an hour and a half. Not bad for the last free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment