Welcome

This idea of sustainability can be overwhelming. Everything is going green. What does it mean? Why should I care? Can I really make a difference? What's the difference between greenwashing and the real deal? I hope to share what I'm learning in small bites to make it easy for everyone to follow. It can be easy and simple if we care enough to start.

I work for an environmental building consultant and am pursuing a BA in Design Management at ASU with a few classes in sustainability mixed in. I'm trying to sort this all out as a husband and father.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Phoenix Metro Light Rail (Day 1)

My first adventure on Light Rail was Monday, December 29th. It was the first "work" day after a weekend of celebrations showing off the valley's newest toy. My intention was to eliminate as much driving effort as possible and let someone else do the driving. My normal drive into downtown Phoenix is 30 miles one way. It takes me about an hour regardless of the ways I go. I thought I'd try the closest Metro Park & Ride at Superstition Springs and take the new Link bus from there to the starting point of the Light Rail in Mesa at Sycamore and Main. That was my first mistake. I should have heeded my wife's advise and driven directly to the park & ride at Sycamore and Main.

It took 13 minutes to drive the 7.2 miles to the Superstition Springs Park & Ride from my house. The Link bus - all shiny and new - awaited my arrival. I waited another 10 minutes before we started our journey to the Light Rail station. 35 bumpy minutes later, we (all six of us) arrived at the equally shiny and new Light Rail Park & Ride. Cheerful and helpful station attendants answered all of my questions and informed us that the train was about to leave.

There were about 20 of us on that train. We smoothly departed at 6:55AM. When we arrive at one of the ASU stops, a couple of bicyclists boarded with an awkward moment trying to figure out what to do with their bikes. There are hanging racks, but they aren't obvious. A passenger nearly lost his head at the next stop when he boarded as the handlebars from the bikes stuck out into the aisle. My trip ended at the Roosevelt/Central Ave. station. My total train time was about 55 minutes. Not bad for the first day, I recon. The online estimate is 45 minutes. Total travel time from my garage to my office was about two hours.

My return trip was more of a nightmare. I arrived at the Roosevelt/Central platform around 5:00PM. What was I thinking? 5:00 on a day that riding was FREE? I can't really describe what standing room only meant when the doors opened on the first train. I politely excused my way on. Most were extremely friendly and conceded that their idea of joy-riding was a bad one. I held my tongue because I was just trying to do the right thing by using mass transit to get to work!

5:50 our overloaded train arrived at the Veteran's Way station. "Everyone off" the driver stated. Huh? I'm trying to get to the end of the line to take the Link bus to my car! Once empty, the train sped off in the opposite direction back into central Phoenix. 10 minutes later another equally jammed train arrives. Most of the bewildered passengers from my train attempted to board this one. I couldn't get my camera phone out fast enough to record the mayhem that ensued. Are they kidding? No one from Metro was around to give any explanation. I waited for the next train. As I waited, I called my wife. She was kind enough to let me know she was right and that I should have driven to the starting point for the train. I suddenly realized that my nightmare was not over and that I'd need to transfer from the train to the bus before I could get to my beloved car and the peace and quiet within.

6:35 arrive at the Sycamore/Main station. I quickly walk over to the Link bus area to catch the bus to Superstition Springs. I double-check the schedule and find that the next bus leaves at 6:45. I board with a minute to spare and take a big sigh of relief. Foiled again, the bus does not leave until 7:00. Much as my ride was nearly 13 hours prior, it's dark. 35 bumpy minutes later I arrive at my car. My 15 minute drive home concludes a nearly three hour commute home.

I did it all in the name of saving gas and making the planet healthier. I'm pretty sure a five hour total commute by mass transit is not better than a two hour total drive. It is the first day, and I have to give my wife the credit she deserves for being right - again. I was discouraged, but I wasn't going to give up. I would try my wife's suggestion tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment