Welcome

This idea of sustainability can be overwhelming. Everything is going green. What does it mean? Why should I care? Can I really make a difference? What's the difference between greenwashing and the real deal? I hope to share what I'm learning in small bites to make it easy for everyone to follow. It can be easy and simple if we care enough to start.

I work for an environmental building consultant and am pursuing a BA in Design Management at ASU with a few classes in sustainability mixed in. I'm trying to sort this all out as a husband and father.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Phoenix Metro Light Rail (Day 2)

This had to be better than yesterday's fiasco, or I was going to seriously reconsider my commitment to walking the walk and reducing my carbon footprint. My drive from home took about 25 minutes and my driving distance doubled to 15.5 miles. I'm still cutting my miles nearly in half, I thought. I board at 6:40 and depart at 6:45. The train is still very empty compared to the afternoon ride home. Everyone still has a sense of adventure. Everyone also has a seat to themselves and plenty of elbow room around them. Yesterday, the driver had to announce all of the stops himself as well as when the doors were about to close. Today, all announcements are pre-recorded. There is an electronic "bing-bong" to warn of closing doors. Already an adjustment for the better from yesterday. My train arives at Roosevelt/Central in a brisk 45 minutes. Exactly as advertised online. I'm a much happier camper than I was yesterday.

My return trip left at 4:11 after what seemed like a long wait. I noticed two trains arriving and departing in the other direction before my train to Mesa arrived. The ride home was no less crowded than Monday. I'm starting to think I may have to stand all the way to Mesa every day. I'm getting pretty grumpy about trying to do the right thing and all of these freeloaders taking up space reserved for me. Who takes their kids out on a joy ride during rush hour? I'm trying the "saving the planet, saving the planet" mantra, but it isn't working. Bad breath and body odor is weakening my resolve to want to make a difference.

The entire trip fom office to garage was an hour and a half. I felt better about being green and doing the right thing. I kept reminding myself that it would get better as soon as people had to start paying for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment