Welcome

This idea of sustainability can be overwhelming. Everything is going green. What does it mean? Why should I care? Can I really make a difference? What's the difference between greenwashing and the real deal? I hope to share what I'm learning in small bites to make it easy for everyone to follow. It can be easy and simple if we care enough to start.

I work for an environmental building consultant and am pursuing a BA in Design Management at ASU with a few classes in sustainability mixed in. I'm trying to sort this all out as a husband and father.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Urbanism

Anyone looking for a great idea to promote to our new administration should look here: http://www.urbandesign.org/newdeal2009.html. As a regular guy trying to sort all of this mess out, this makes sense. I agree with the idea of a three-tier level of rail transportation as an alternative way to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. It could be as effective at stimulating the economy as was the highway bill that created our current interstate freeway system.

I know, I know - Americans love their cars. I'm one of them. I'm just not convinced it's a great idea to depend on getting the fuel for them from governments that hate us and everything we stand for. It won't happen overnight, but we should at least openly discuss this idea from the folks at NewUrbanism.org if we really want to do things in a more sustainable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment